Conferences, events, and training
TTS encourages all staff to attend conferences, speak at events, and focus on professional development and training opportunities. Check out the TTS Training Database to see what conferences and trainings your colleagues have attended.
Any media requests (like news or podcast interviews) are a separate process—forward the email or reach out to email@example.com.
Getting approval for a conference, event, or training
Submit this form to initiate the request process. Here is guidance on writing an event justification. Upon completing it, you and your supervisor will get an automated email, which confirms the details you entered and provides all of the actions that you will need to complete for the request. Your supervisor may want to discuss the request with you before proceeding with further approvals.
Once you’ve connected with your supervisor, continue following all steps outlined by the email that you received. If you have any issues or questions about your request, please respond to the Events Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) on the automated email thread. An Events Team member will follow up with you within 2 business days.
You will receive an automated email when your request has been fully approved and paid for or if additional information is needed to complete your registration. You can track the status of your request here with the request number in the subject line of the automated email.
Important note about conference travel: If you are traveling to a conference on behalf of a partner who is paying for the travel and the registration and you will be billing the partner for your time, an IDP and SF-182 approval is not needed. Also an SF-182 isn’t needed if the conference is NOT deemed a training activity.
The review and approval process times vary by the type of request and the layers of approval required. It is best to submit your training request as early as possible.
- Five days to ten days in advance for:
- Training (not at a conference) that costs less than $2,500, including travel
- Ten days to two weeks
- Conference events that cost less than $2500, including travel
- Fifteen days to three weeks in advance for:
- Training (not at a conference) that costs more than $2500, including travel
- Three to five weeks in advance for:
- Conference events that costs more than $2,500, including travel
- Conference events that have a waived or discounted registration fee
- Speaking events in your official capacity
- Internal Management Meetings, regardless of cost
- Highly Attended Events FY18 GSA Highly Attended Events
- Five to six weeks in advance for:
- Group Conference Training/Attendance
You can track the status of your request here with the request number in the subject line of the automated email.
Additional steps that you may need to take
The automated email that you will receive outlines the step(s) below that you will need to complete for your request.
Creating an SF-182 (required for most conference, event, and training requests that have registration and/or travel costs)
- Start this process by adding this event to your Individual Development Plan (IDP) in Salesforce and have your supervisor approve.
- For IDP information and instructions on how to create one, head to the IPD handbook page
- After your IDP is approved by your supervisor, you can then generate a Standard Form 182 (SF-182) in Salesforce.
- Once you have generated an SF-182, you will select approvers based on the email instructions that you’ve sent.
- Most trainings require supervisor, then Keith Wilson as Approver 1, then your business unit lead as Approver 2, and then your TTS Assistant Commissioner, Dominic Sale or Harry Lee, as Approver 4.
- Most events require supervisor, then Keith Wilson as Approver 1.
- You will add Matthew Ryan as your purchase card holder, then hit the ‘submit for approval’ button which is located at the bottom of the screen of the SF-182 form.
The SF-182 must be fully approved before any final actions such as paying for registration or approval of travel in Concur can be taken. Once your SF-182 has been fully approved, download a PDF copy and send it to email@example.com. Ensure your SF-182 is completed and sent over at least two business days before your registration would need to be completed to give the purchasing team sufficient time to process.
You can start making Travel Arrangements in Concur (if needed) at any point in the process, even before you’ve submitted the Events request form if you would like to get an estimate of travel costs. Most travel reservations will automatically cancel if not approved.
You are responsible for cancelling all reservations (e.g. flight, hotel, rental car) if your event is not approved. Always check the cancellation policy before booking because you may be responsible for paying the cancellation fee(s). You can ask questions in #travel or during travel office hours.
Remote working guidance
When working from somewhere that isn’t your usual duty location, consider these tips to help coworkers and partners plan around your trip.
After the event
Add your notes about the conference or training to the TTS Training Database for your colleagues to read and learn from!
You can also use your training budget to buy books for self-guided study. Approval for books follows the same process as approvals for trainings. You’ll need to fill out the same forms but using the names of the books you want to buy.