Teleworking and moving
Full-time Telework Arrangements are required for TTS employees who do not work at least 2 days a pay period in one of the TTS Offices (DC, Chicago, NYC, or San Francisco) or, in rare cases, an approved GSA office. The instructions below will help guide you through how to initiate the moving process, determining if/when you need a full-time telework arrangement (FTTA), how to fill out the analysis tool and get the necessary signatures, and then how to submit it in HR Links for Supervisor approval.
Full-time telework arrangements will need to be re-submitted in HR Links annually for approval and will need to be updated to account for any significant changes
How to start the process if you plan to move
If you are thinking about moving, please get approval from your Supervisor via email and forward it to TTS-PeopleOps@gsa.gov as soon as possible. TTS People Ops will provide guidance on how to proceed. The information below provides supporting guidance on how to fill out paperwork and make critical updates that may or may not apply to you based on your situation.
What you need to do based on where you’re moving
If you need to move or submit a new full-time telework arrangement, follow the guidance for your situation:
- A full-time telework employee who is moving to a new full-time telework location
- A full-time telework employee who is moving to one of our offices (DC, CHI, NYC or SFO)
- An office employee who is moving to a full-time telework location
- An office employee who is moving to a different office
- An office employee whose home address is changing but not their work location
Please note that full approval can take a significant period of time and is not guaranteed, so we highly recommend that you don’t finalize plans to move until receiving full approval.
A Full-time Telework Arrangement is needed
- For new hires that will work from a telework duty station, i.e. not working from one of our offices (DC, CHI, NYC or SFO)
- If your telework duty station is changing (even if the move is just down the street)
- Not required if you are moving to one of our offices (DC, CHI, NYC or SFO)
- If the number of approved trips on your original FTTA is increasing
- If you’re a full-time telework employee and your position changes due to a reassignment, PD change or a promotion
- Full-time telework arrangements will need to be re-submitted in HR Links annually for approval and will need to be updated to account for any significant changes
How to fill out a Full-time Telework Arrangement
Here are step-by-step instructions for completing the FTTA Form and how to submit it in HR Links for Supervisor approval. Please see below for a comprehensive list of when a FTTA is required and for tips on filling it out.
NOTE: All signed Full-time Telework Arrangement Analysis Tools must now be submitted in HR Links for Supervisor approval. TTS Talent will help to gather the signatures and provide the fully signed copy to you so that you can submit in HR Links
Things to note when completing the FTTA
- Supervisors will need to provide a written business justification (Part H of the FTTA form) for all FTTAs whether they provide a cost savings or cost increase
- In the justification include the salaries for the staff member’s current location and the new location. In the Form, the new duty station must always be compared to the DC office but TTS leadership would like to see the difference between the actual current location and the new location.
- Supervisors will need to provide the number of trips an employee will have to make to DC annually and how long those trips will be (do not include billable trips).
- Existing staff FTTAs can just have the city and state listed (noting on the form that the person is asking for approval to move prior to having a new full address); this should be updated in HR Links once the official address has been confirmed
Approval signatures required for FTTA
For the Annual Review when there are no major changes to your full-time telework arrangement:
Part I. Concurring Supervisor
- “Name”: Your direct Supervisor
Part J. Concurrences
- “Supervisor Name”: Your Supervisor’s supervisor
- No other signatures are required
NOTE: When gathering signatures via DocuSign, make sure to select KEEP PDF FORM DATA when adding signature fields.
For the Annual Review when there are one or more major changes to your full-time telework arrangement but there is still an overall cost savings to GSA:
Examples of major changes include moving from non-supervisory to supervisory, changing locality pay region, and changing pay grade
- People Ops will notify you when the FTTA has been approved and will provide next steps
- Note: Since the recent process change, it has been taking 30-60 days for FTTAs to get approved
Your effective date should be the start of a pay period. Pay period dates can be found on GSA InSite.
A member of the People Ops Team will complete a Personnel Action Request (PAR) and submit to OHRM for processing. If a Full-time Telework Agreement is required, the PAR is generated after the FTTA has been filled out and signed by TTS leadership, as directed in the FTTA instructions. Then the PAR and FTTA are submitted to OHRM for processing.
Changes in pay
If you’re changing regions, your pay will likely change. Look up your new pay here. Find your region under the pay table for the current year, and then find your step and grade. That’s what you’ll be paid in your new location.
Change your address
- Depending on where you’re moving to, TTS People Ops may need to sumbit a PAR (Personnel Action Request) so that payroll is able to process any pay adjustments in a timely manner.
- Do not proceed to Step 2 until you have confirmed with TTS People Ops that you are moving within the same city and your pay will not be changing
- Change your home address in HR Links. This will notify payroll, OPM, and TSP of your new address. For the step-by-step process with images, follow the HR Links Guide.
- After logging into HR Links, ensure you see Employee Self-Service at the top (if you have multiple options, select this one).
- In the upper right corner of your HR Links screen is a compass icon. That is your NavBar. Click that.
- Select Navigator > Self Service > Personal Information > Address Change
- Click edit address, make your change, and submit
- Click submit on main address page and you’ll see a confirmation page pending approval of your address change
- Once you submit the request in HR links, please email firstname.lastname@example.org who will confirm your submission went through. Please also work with Mary to update any necessary tax documents.
- If your duty location change is to a new state, or to a city with locality tax, Mary will guide you to fill out the appropriate forms (IRS Tax Documents), and submit them to the National Payroll Branch at email@example.com.
- Contact your health insurance, dental insurance, and any other insurances you may have and let them know about your address change. You will also need to verify that your insurance will be valid in your new location or you will need to change it. Contact GSA HR at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Change your Slack location
We’ve started putting our location in parentheses after our names in Slack to make it easier for coworkers to tell where we are. To update it, open your profile, click Edit, and update the letters after your last name.