Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Moving and changing your address

The instructions below will help guide you through how to initiate the moving process, whether you are moving across the street or to a new state.

Short-term relocation

If you are relocating for 120 days or less, you do not need to notify PeopleOps or update GSA systems.


If you plan to permanently move or relocate for longer than 120 days, email , external, as soon as you know your future address, and copy your supervisor on the email. Please provide the following information:

  • The city, county, state, ZIP code that you are moving to.
    • If you are staying in the same city, county, state, or ZIP code, make a note of that.
  • The effective date for your move. The effective date needs to be the start of a pay period. You can find pay period dates via GSA’s Payroll Calendar page.
  • Whether you are a Remote Worker (you always work from home) or a Routine Teleworker (onsite flexible: you go into an office two times or more per pay period). If you don’t know your status, tell us that.

After receiving your information, PeopleOps will provide step-by-step guidance on how to proceed.

They may need to process a Personnel Action Request (PAR) for you, depending on your unique situation, which can take a few weeks. If your pay is changing as a result of your move, you will need to complete a new , external,TTS-only, Remote Work Analysis Tool. PeopleOps will provide instructions.

Below are a few key things to know.

Updating your address & notifying benefits companies

PeopleOps will advise when you should change your home address in HR Links; you can follow this step-by-step guide to make that change. You'll also need to modify your telework agreement with your new address.

You cannot manually change your address with your federal health insurance companies, OPM, or TSP: they will receive your new address from GSA, once all move-related paperwork and steps are complete.

Changes in pay

If you are moving to a new region, your pay may change. Look up your new pay via , external,OPM's GS Locality Pay Tables. Check that you are in the current year, find your region under the pay table, and then find your step and grade. That’s what you’ll be paid in your new location.

Changes in benefits

If you are moving to a new state, you may need to select new federal health insurance providers. Please work with the , external,TTS-only, FAS Benefits Specialist who corresponds to your last name to update your benefits. The Benefits Specialist will assist you in understanding your unique situation.

Changes in tax

If you are moving to a new state, you will need to complete a tax withholding form for that state. The withholding form can be found on a given , external,state’s tax agency website. Send the completed form to , external,

If you are moving to an area with locality tax, you’ll also need to submit that completed withholding form to , external,

Confirming changes

After one or two pay periods at your new address, we strongly recommend you check your paystub in , external,Employee Express as well as the address your insurance companies and TSP have on file. You are responsible for reporting any errors to PeopleOps and GSA.

Change your Slack location

We put our location after our names in Slack. To update it, , external,TTS-only, open your profile, click Edit, and update the letters after your last name.


Return to the top of the page ^

An official website of the U.S. General Services Administration

Looking for U.S. government information and services?
, external,Visit